It’s been almost 19 years since I last edited this site, so I think that there are very few people (if any) who saw it back in the day. In any case, we have a clean slate, building on a responsive WordPress theme, which is much easier than hand-coding HTML. I’m still learning the WordPress features and the quirks of the theme, so I’ll stick to basic blogging for now, and add to it as we go.
The original site featured a large variety of commercially available software development tools and libraries with the ability to purchase certain tools by contacting me. The state of eCommerce tools was very primitive then compared to what we can do today with a prepackaged solution such as Shopify. The world of software, particularly development tools, is far more advanced than it was at the end of the last millennium.
Just a few indicators:
- Google was founded in 1998
- The Open Source Initiative was founded in 1998
- The enterprise version of Microsoft’s Visual Studio was priced at about $2000/user
- GitHub didn’t exist
- The first App Store was introduced by NTT DoCoMo in 1999
- Salesforce.com introduced their SaaS platform in 1999
The list could be extended indefinitely, and I hope to use this blog to describe some the many ways in which the world of software has changed in 25 years.